New translation studies scholars at UMass for Fall ‘08

The UMass Translation Center announces the new group of incoming translation students/scholars for the Fall 2008 term:

Lenita Esteves (Brazil) is on sabbatical from her job as Professor of Translation Studies at São Paulo and will spend her fall semester with us at the Translation Center. She received her PhD from the Universidade Estadual de Campinas (1999) with her thesis on the translation on Finnegans Wake. She will be conducting research on ethics and translation while here, including issues raised in community encounters and in international situations of conflict.

Yonjoo Hong (Korea) is a new graduate student in the MA in Translation Studies Program here at UMass. She did her undergraduate degree in English at the University of Sheffield, and her MA in Translation from the Ewha Womans University in Seoul, Korea.

Grazia Trentini (Italy) is an undergrad exchange student at UMass, coming here from the Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators of the University of Bologna at Forlì (Forlì, Italy). She is the first translation student to arrive under our newly signed educational exchange agreement with Bologna/Forli, one of the top translation schools in Italy.

Xin Hongjuan (China) is a Fulbright scholar from the School of Foreign Studies, Central South University in Changsha, Hunan, China. She received her PhD in Translation Studies from Nanjing University in 2006. Her research project is on the Tao-te-ching in English, focusing on the imagery of the text and how texts travel.

6 Comments

1. selmani ammar
    Posted November 13, 2008 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

what about the algerian translators who want to study in your university? do you accept them or no?

2. Edwin
    Posted November 17, 2008 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

We would welcome an Algerian student in our program; we have faculty support in Arabic, French, Spanish, and Italian, and we have published a special issue of Metamorphoses on the Arab World. We have had several Iraqi students in our program in the past, but so far none from Algeria. Best, Edwin

3. Ali Dieng
    Posted May 5, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Hello My Name is Ali Dieng I`m from Mauritania,west Africa.
    I live i Burlington Vt .I just finished my TOEFL Program and i would like to know what are the requirement for a international student interested in a degree of professional interpreting, how long it`s gonna take to get a degree? i have 3 years of college education and speaks ,5 languages

4. Edwin
    Posted May 6, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

HI Ali, We would also certainly welcome an application from a student from Mauritania. Candidates must have a BA, 2.75 GPA, GRE, two letters of recommendation, speak a minimum of two languages, send in a writing sample, and other items. For more information, please see our website http://www.umasstranslation.com/academics/ma-in-translation-studies/ above. Most candidates take two years to complete the MA. Best, Edwin

5. Farzane Kamalian
    Posted December 29, 2009 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Hello My name is Farzane. I’m from Iran studying Translation Studies. I’m going to defend my Thesis this summer. and then I would like to move to another country for PHD since PHD for TS is not offered here in Iran. I want to see whether it’s possible for me to have it there in your university?!

Regards

6. Afua
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 4:47 am | Permalink

This is a bit odd…she already has an MA in Translation from the Ewha Womans University, but she’s doing another MA in Translation Studies? I guess it’s in another language pair.